There are many types of home health care available to patients these days. Home health care can be broadly divided into two main categories: medical and non-medical. Medical home health care includes services such as skilled nursing, physical therapy, and home health aides. Non-medical home health care includes services such as homemaking, companionship, and personal care.
Types of Medical Home Health Care:
- Skilled nursing care: This type of home health care is provided by a registered nurse (RN) or a licensed practical nurse (LPN). Services provided by skilled nursing care include wound care, IV therapy, medication administration, and monitoring of vital signs.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapists (PTs) provide services to help patients regain strength and mobility. Services provided by PTs can include exercises, stretching, and massage.
- Home health aides: Home health aides (HHAs) provide basic personal care services, such as bathing, dressing, and grooming. They can also help with light housekeeping tasks and meal preparation.
Types of Non-Medical Home Health Care:
- Homemaking: Homemaking services can include light housekeeping tasks, such as dusting, vacuuming, and laundry. They can also include meal preparation, grocery shopping, and errand running.
- Companionship: Companionship services can provide social interaction and stimulation for patients who are isolated or lonely. Services can include conversation, playing games, and reading aloud.
- Personal care: Personal care services can include help with activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, and using the restroom. home health care chicago can also include help with grooming, such as hair care and shaving.
This type of home health care that is commonly provided is home health aides. Home health aides are usually trained to provide basic care to patients who are unable to care for themselves.